Moulton Windmill 2011

 

Moulton windmill was built in 1822 and is the tallest surviving windmill in England, standing some 100 feet (30 metres) to the top of the cap. The mill worked by wind power until 1894 when, following storm damage, the sails were removed and a steam driven mill was installed. In 2004 following a successful £700,000 Lottery Heritage Fund grant the mill building was restored and a new cap with windshaft and turning gear installed. Unfortunately at that time there were insufficient funds to complete the balcony and sails.

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
10
11
12
13
14
15

In 2011 Traditional Millwrights Limited were commissioned to build 4 new double sided 'patent' sails for the mill. Help was enlisted from the 'Friends of Moulton Mill' to make the 184 canvas shutters that fit into the sail frames.  

The sail frames and striking gear were constructed at Home Farm near Alford and then transported to Moulton. At Moulton the sails were fitted onto the steel stocks supplied by the Moulton Windmill Trust and the shutters fitted into place. The stocks and sails were then hoisted 130 feet into place and located firmly in the canister on the windshaft.  

Some minor alterations to the turning gear were also made to ensure that Moulton windmill could grind by wind power once again.