North Leverton 2012

 

North Leverton was built in 1813 for a group of farmers in the parishes of Fenton, North Leverton, Habblesthorpe and Sturton-le-Steeple. The mill has been in continuous use ever since undergoing many repairs in its time including in 1884 increasing the height of the tower to better catch the wind.

01
02
01
02

In October 2011 Traditional Millwrights Limited removed the cap from North Leverton Windmill for repair. The cap required new sheers, 25% of the boarding to be replaced and various other smaller repairs. In accordance with theSPAB's mill repair philosophy the cap was repaired rather than replaced. Although some major timbers were replaced the majority of the cap is still the one put on in 1884 when the last major refit was done. 

In March 2012 the cap was lifted back on to the mill and the 4 new 'patent' sails built in our workshop at Home Farm were raised into position. North Leverton is once again working by wind power.

More recently we have recommissioned the french millstones which included repairs to the supporting timber and new stone furniture.